Department of economics and statistics

Università di siena 1240

Presentation

The Department of Economics was established in 1987 as a transformation of the Institute of Economics, directed by Bruno Miconi. Such a transition was quite unnoticed, since, thanks to its founding members (Mario Amendola, Marcello de Cecco, Giancarlo Gandolfo, Lucio Izzo, Franco Romani and Enrico Zaghini) the Institute of Economics already anticipated almost every feature of a modern and international department. It consolidated, too, that tradition of pluralistic and multidisciplinary debate maintained and fostered still nowadays.

 

The Department of Economics and Statistics helped overcoming the isolation of Italian Universities, by receiving amongst its fellows Richard Goodwin, the first foreign scholar teaching Economics in an Italian University. Such an international tradition was carried on over time with Frank Hahn and, now, with Sam Bowles; it is also testified by flourishing international relationships, as well as by the number of PhD students applying from all over the world to the PhD program in Economics (organized by the Department of Economics and Statistics ). The Department is also the host institution of a Fulbright Chair, yearly awarded to internationally renowned experts.

 

In May 2010 most of the members of the former Department of Quantitative Methods joined the department, strengthening the area of mathematics and enlarging the scientific interests of the department to include statistics and its applications to social sciences. Since May 2011 it assumed the new name of Department of Economics and Statistics.

 

The Department’s teaching staff includes economists, economic historians, mathematicians, statisticians and political scientists belonging to the University of Siena.